Thursday, October 20, 2011

Syrup Soppin'

I am heading out to the Syrup Soppin' Festival in Loachapoka, Alabama. This will be my first time to go, and I know it will be a "taste" of the south! Photos to follow, but check out Fred Lord's banjo in my photo. I met him a few weeks ago as I traveled South.  He was on his Loachapoka storefront porch with a student and took time to show me his collection of musical instruments.

 Hopefully I will meet the Loachapoka locals early in the morning at the biscuit/syrup breakfast! (I'll have blankets in my trunk in case I hear of someone who might need one!) Ya'll come on down if you can!

The festival was fun and countless people were there, parking on the side of the road for miles. Vendors sold their goods, and watching the syrup being made was certainly a sight to behold. The fire was stoked, syrup measured and a team of men gathered the sugar cane that was used. Steam filled the air as the liquid boiled and the delicious syrup was sold out this year.  The day was so educational and I will be having syrup on my toast in the morning! I connected with a great man, Nathaniel, who was a local, dressed in Liberty overalls. I did a mini photo shoot with him and I promised to come back to see him as well as mail his photo to him. I'll take a blanket when I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment