Sunday, March 8, 2015

Half my Age and Twice my Size: THE BULLY

I don't have a large blog following. I write primarily for myself to document my stories.

 So, I have a dream too.

This weekend I sat on a panel for IAMMORETHAN. The whole production was for 'reconciliation'. I was the only white person on the panel. Every person was considerate and kind in spite of our culture.

 But……I went to Selma Saturday for the bridge crossing event. The crowd was immense and I opted to wait awhile for the line into the event to settle. At least 3 hours after arriving, during which I met and photographed locals and visitors, I decided to get in the event line to hear Obama's speech. Almost at the gate after standing in a civilized line for over an hour, a young woman half my age and twice my size, decided to bully me. She stood a foot taller than me (you could have put 2 of me in her clothes). She used the force of her body to move me out of her way. She pushed and shoved me with tremendous force, causing me to move other people over. The only thing on her mind was herself.  I would almost call the line I now stood in a mob. She was rude, and she was a bully. I doubt that her Mother taught her this type behavior. As a Mother, I would have been ashamed of my child had she treated anyone like this. It was so upsetting, I left the event and came back home without going in.

Where does reconciliation begin? My dream is that it starts with every person, black and white.
I read Martin Luther Kings Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech this week. Maybe we should all read it. Maybe the bullies out there should read it.

I might add the Golden Rule, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment